Higher Office Network Speeds

 

So I’m up here in Broward setting up a temporary office with Rasiel.  Rasiel, for those who have not met him, is probably our top IT tech from iPower.  I don’t intend to denigrate the rest of them, but Rasiel has bailed us out of more jams with his knowledge than I can ever keep track of. 

 

I’m watching him do his thing and I notice he’s not plugging my PC Ethernet cord into the phone.  He’s using a dedicated wall jack and connecting the phone to a different network jack.  That gets my attention because for years we’ve been tapping the network using the Ethernet port on the phones.

 

I ask why.  He says he’s discovered that the phones are limiting our network speeds!  You get higher speed from a direct connection to the wall, up to a gig.  The Ethernet connection in the phone is about half of that, probably because our phones are about 9 years old.

 

So, if you have the skill, unplug your PC network connection from the phone and put it into a data port in the wall jack.  Leave the phone Ethernet where it is.  You’ll find your network speed has increased. 

 

If the network isn’t working in the second port in the wall jack, you’ll have to wait.  We’ll need to connect the network to that port. If there is no second data port; sorry.  You’ll have to wait for a new office.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Access Instructions - including phones!