Missing Outlook AIM Profiler
Okay, okay, I know the general consensus about PerfectLaw and AIM. Anyone who has discussed it with me knows what I think. BUT - there are many large and mid-size firms that use it, just like us. PerfectLaw does make improvements and we upgrade it. At the end of the day, it continues to be our practice management software, so we’re darn well going to make the most of it. And, notwithstanding my (somewhat unfounded) opinions and long term goal to kick it to the curb, many of the problems we have with it are because we don’t really know how to use it. That’s going to change and soon.
But I digress (as usual). What I really want to talk about is something that is not training related -- PerfectLaw’s trouble with Outlook. They just don’t work well together. The PerfectLaw tab that allows us to profile email and stuff just randomly disappears from Outlook from time to time without any warning or explanation – sort of like when I go to lunch. This leads to dozens of tickets to iPower to restore the tab and your blissful existence.
I see all that stuff and I’ve been fine with it, since fixing the problem might be a bit beyond the standard comfort level. This problem will not go away and needs to be corrected again and again. As a result, some of you know how to fix it yourself, since either I’ve shown you or iPower has shown you. Those enlightened members of the PerfectLaw illuminati need not read on.
For the rest of you, here’s how you perform the magic trick:
1. Sometimes, though not all the time, you may get a note from Outlook that automatically pops up to add in the PerfectLaw “add in.” If you accept, the PerfectLaw tab reappears.
2. If you don’t see that, then you need to get into the guts of Outlook.
3. First, click on the “File” tab in Outlook.
4. Look to the bottom left of the screen and click “Options.” You’ll see this and you want to choose “Add-ins”:
5. When you select “Add-ins,” you’ll see this, but don’t get intimidated (yet). Mash down on the “Go…” button:
6. You’ll then see this, which lists every available add-in for Outlook:
7. Scroll down until you see “plcoutaddin.” It will not be “checked” as shown below. Click it and the check mark should appear. Hit “OK”
8. That’s it. The PerfectLaw tab will be restored.
The really clever among you might have noticed there are ShoreTel add-ins, too. If you lose your conference tab in the calendar, that can be restored the same way. Neat, huh?
Comments
Post a Comment