Phone Printing
Good afternoon WSHCB denizens! Yeah, I had to look up ‘denizens’ before I used it just to make sure I didn’t offend anyone. I think I’m safe so long as you’re not familiar with the historical British usage. Don’t go looking it up, either.
I’ve probably explained this one before, but it’s been a while, we have some new gang members, and I just felt like writing an IT Tip without putting a lot of effort into it. Recycling ain’t just for cans. It’s also helpful for lazy IT managers.
Enough procrastination. We have the ability in all of our offices to print from phones, iPads, just about any device. But there is a trick to it. You have to be on the same network as our printers, which is the WSHAir network. Not the WSHAIR_Guest – that one is isolated from the rest of the firm so guests can't cruise around in our servers unsupervised. You need to switch out of the guest network and make sure you’re on the main line.
Once you do that, you can now “see” the printers on the network using whatever feature is available on your device to send something to the printers.
One quirk of our network is that the manufacturer and model names for our printers show up on the list first. That’s so the company that maintains them can identify them. This will be meaningless to you – no one knows without a cheat sheet where the heck “Lexmark M3150” is. Scroll down a little way and you’ll start to see “Plain English” descriptions like “DADE_Copier 1.” Pick one you recognize and print away.
Remember – no color unless you absolutely need it and think about using both sides of the paper.
Comments
Post a Comment